Precautionary measures for healthy animals taken at Sabzazar Farm:
- Teet dipping is done after each lactation.
- Formaline is sprayed twice a week in the entire cattle shed which works as an anti-virus.
- Cypermethrine is sprayed after every 15 days on the floors, walls and inside of the roof top of the cattle shed; this works as an insecticide for removal of ticks.
- Negovan is used as a bathing acto-parasite for the cattle and is used once a month.
- De-worming of the cattle is done three to four times a year.
- Foot and mouth disease vaccination done twice a year.
- Hoof trimming done once a year.
- 3 Kg of grinded Neem Seeds added into one ton of Wanda (Concentrate) which is used normally as cattle feed, this acts as anti-intestinal disorder. Similar procedure is followed in poultry feed at Sabzazar Farm, which acts as coxidiostate. The same procedure also helps in preventing E.Coli, Salmonella and any kind of unknown fever in the cattle. It is supposed to be anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Lime is used as a disinfectant to white-wash the water tanks and spread over any wet place that appears in the cattle shed.
- 10 Kg Lime and ½ Kg Ammonium Chloride (noshaader) is mixed in 220 liters of water in a container and when the lime settles down at the bottom of the container, 1 liter of this water is then added into 200 liters of drinking water for cattle. This works as a drinking water disinfectant and prevents intestinal disorder disease in the cattle. Similar procedure is followed in drinking water for the poultry at Sabzazar Farm.
Artificial Insemination at Sabzazar Farm:
- Expert inseminator is hired.
- Timing of insemination must be closely observed.
- Motility of straw is checked using microscope.
- High statured American Bull semen is selected for insemination of cross-breed cows.
- Calving ease quality in Sire is selected for heifers.
- 80 % of the cows conceive within 150 days after giving birth to a calf.
- Heifer’s pregnancy rate is reported to be 41 % in years 2011 and 2012 with sexed semen i.e 2.5 doses of sexed semen per heifer.
- Cow’s pregnancy rate is reported to be 25 % in years 2011 and 2012 with normal and sexed semen i.e. four doses for each conception.
- Pregnancy drugs are sometimes utilized in milking cows.
Insemination is not done between the months of August to November every year, except for repeater cows to avoid calving from June to August.